Monday, January 19, 2009

Isn't it ironic.....?

That Martin Luther King, Jr. Day falls on the eve of the inauguration of our first black president? Ok, so I bashed the whole inauguration process yesterday because I think it's way too extravagant, but if all of that is set aside and you really stop and think about what is going to happen tomorrow at 11:59AM.....it's kind of amazing. In a way, it represents pretty much everything that MLK stood for, and I can only imagine the pride and excitement he would have felt if he were alive to see what will happen tomorrow.....will you be watching?

This picture was done by a street artist named Shepard Fairey. It is going on display in the Smithsonian Portrait Gallery this week. I think it's a very relevant picture to post today.

Happy MLK Day, everyone.

PS: If you get a chance, you really should check out Martin's Big Words by Doreen Rappaport. It is a picture biography (illustrated by Bryan Collier, who is AMAZING--the picture above is the front cover---just a picture, no words) of MLK and was great when I read it to my third grade class in my former teaching life. It won many awards, and rightfully so. It tells his story well and in a way that people of all ages can understand. It highlights the "I Have a Dream" speech, as well as other memorable quotes, and sends out a great message about MLK's legacy. READ IT! :)

0 comments: