Wednesday, January 7, 2009

I got my Christmas wish!



Happy New Year! Sorry it's been so long, but the holidays tend to get really busy!


First, the highlight of my break........
On December 23rd, much to my surprise, I was greeted by this little face after coming out of the bathroom at my parents' house.

I had been there for 15 minutes or so, and nothing seemed different, there was no sign of a dog, and then, all of a sudden, she just appeared. I was so surprised and her tail was wagging so fast and she was licking my face so vigorously that all I could do was cry. Her name is Delilah, she is the sweetest little thing, and even though we've only had her for a couple of weeks, she is already a part of the family. I'm sure this blog will be flooded with pictures of her cute little snorty mug from this day forward. She's still very much a puppy, but she is already learning to come when her name is called, she knows how to sit, and she is the master of playing fetch with any of her numerous toys. The only thing I don't like is when we have to leave her to go somewhere, especially to go to work, because we have to leave her for so long. I guess it's a good thing that we live so close, because we're able to go home for lunch on most days to let her out of her crate to do her business and release some of that never-ending puppy energy.
We had the most wonderful holiday. Our last day of work was the 19th of December, upon which we took off in a blizzard to go to Toledo for Ruppert Christmas at my sister-in-law Beth's house on Saturday morning. It was great to get the family together....we had a great time with the kids and experimenting with my father-in-law's Christmas present--A Nintendo Wii, complete with the Wii Fit. We had lots of laughs when we were trying to have a hula-hoop competition...that's tiring, let me assure you! We were there until the 23rd, just spending time with family---one of the highlights was when Gary and I took our nephew Luke bowling. He's only five, but with the help of some bumpers, he was able to beat his uncle and aunt in the first game we bowled. That made his day!
We spent from the 23rd to the 28th with my parents in Indiana. I got to see two of my best friends in the whole world, Jami and Abby on Christmas Eve Day. It was great to get a chance to catch up with them, especially because I got to see Abby's growing belly!

We had the usual Christmas Eve festivities with my dad's side of the family, went to midnight mass, and then spent Christmas Day at my grandma and grandpa's. We had a great time with everyone there, and I got one of the most meaningful birthday gifts EVER from my grandma--a painting of our barn Up North that she painted based on a picture that I took. It is something that I will treasure forever!! It looks just like the picture, and the fact that she had it framed in barn wood gives it even more character! We also had the chance to introduce Delilah to some of her cousins....Sydney had a great time holding Delilah while she slept.


After some other fun get-togethers, it was off to the cabin Up North for New Year's.....Delilah did great on her first long car ride and survived her first night in the cabin like a trooper, considering that there was NO POWER so we had to have fires to heat us and gas lamps for light! The Losees came up for a few days, and their friends Dan and Tracy came soon after with their two boys, which made for a cabin full, but it was fun. Everyone got along great and Delilah definitely enjoyed all of the company. We saw a lot of deer and had fun snowmobiling, even though some of the days were very cold!

We ended up coming back to Canada a couple days early to get Delilah acclamated to her new home, and so far, she's doing great! It was nice for Gary and I to have some time to catch up after constantly being on the road for almost three weeks. We made a big pot of chicken noodle soup and just vegged out in front of the TV while the laundry was being done (there's a LOT of laundry to do when you're gone that long, and I even did some at my parents' house!)

Now we're back to the real world......working all week, enjoying lazy weekends (hopefully, we haven't had our first weekend home yet!) I kind of like the winter for that reason...the weather makes us almost have to stay around here or avoid major traffic snarls. Once spring comes, I'm sure we'll be on the road again quite frequently!!

0 comments: