Wednesday, November 5, 2008

To me, this says it all.....

Congratulations to the next President and First Lady!

I'm not a Republican. I'm not a Democrat. In fact, I don't even really like politics, I think it's way too overanalyzed, especially in this year's election. I do, however, believe that it requires a lot of research and soul searching in order to make the educated decision that is necessary when casting a vote for the person who is going to be representing the United States on the world's stage. The image that this person projects should be a positive one. He (or she) should be a person that the American people, and all of those people from other nations affected by the decisions made in the U.S., can look up to and trust. I was very disappointed in the circus that this election turned into. It became more of a popularity contest based on age and race and looks and other issues that should have NEVER come to the forefront. The issues that were magnified take the focus away from what is really important in the U.S. right now---which to me is the state of the economy, the trade deficit, and the fact that we have way too many troops still overseas. Yes, taxes and healthcare are big, too, but there are some serious issues that could really get out of hand unless something is done.

I did not vote this year. Maybe it was a mistake, maybe it wasn't. I didn't vote because like I said earlier, I believe it takes a very educated and researched decision to cast a vote, and I am not going to be irresponsible and cast a vote based on the wrong information. In this election, everything was so biased and facts were so misconstrued that it was ridiculous. I could not figure out how to tell fact from fiction, and I don't like to be swayed by celebrities or media. I like to make my decision based on my own research. I was too overwhelmed with propaganda everywhere I looked, so I didn't make that responsible decision. If I would have voted, I probably would have voted for Obama. I am not sure I like everything he stands for, but I believe that he is the lesser of the two evils, and I definitely think his heart is in the right place and he truly wants to do what is best for this country. Now the election is over. Obama WILL be the next president. Even though many people in the U.S. didn't vote for him, that is in the past now, and I just hope that everyone can unite and put their differences and prejudices aside and stand behind this man to help the United States become the nation it can--and SHOULD--be. I find it fascinating how much people from other countries have focused on this election--I can say that first-hand, because I cannot tell you how many Canadians have come up to me at work, asking my opinion on the election and showing genuine interest and excitement about its outcome. You don't realize until you live outside of the United States how much everyone else focuses on our every move as a country. We're under a microscope. That is why we need someone who can motivate people to change and make them excited and optimistic about the future--someone that can make people from other nations look at the U.S. in a much more positive light than it is seen in currently. For now, that man is Barack Obama, and I wish him the best of luck.

0 comments: