Friday, August 22, 2008

Cultural Phenomenon Number Two

Ok, I don't really know why I'm writing about this.....well, actually, I do --- it's because this show absolutely fascinates me summer after summer. Before you roll your eyes and think to yourself, "Oh my gravy, she really watches this rubbish," --let me tell you why it's so great. CBS chooses thirteen people, give or take a couple, each summer to spend three months living together in a dog-eat-dog type of competition in which the "houseguests" are completely cut off from every outlet of the outside world: no phones, no TV, no internet, no visitors in or out, no emails or letters from home--NOTHING. Can you imagine being put into that situation? It really is the ultimate social experiment. They take out all of the elements from the outside world and strip these people of everything but their character and then let them evict one person each week, until the last person standing is ultimately rewarded $500,000 after a vote from their peers. They all go into the house knowing nothing about any of the other people with whom they are about to spend 24 hours a day with for who knows how long. One person wins a competition to be head of household, which means they get their own bedroom, special amenities, and the decision of which two people to nominate for eviction. Then there is a veto competition, and whoever wins that can change one nominee or leave it the same. Then the houseguests vote at the end of the week, and the person with the most votes leaves. Throw in some crazy competitions--especially the food ones....if they lose they have to eat the disgusting Big Brother slop.....and you have yourself what I consider to be a sociologist's masterpiece. I find it so interesting to see how the people relate to each other, form relationships, break them, and lie, cheat, and steal to get to the top of the pile. It's just great. I can't describe it...you just have to watch for yourself, and you'll be hooked. Trust me--if I can get my husband to watch it with me and start making predictions about the next evicted houseguest and what their strategy should be, anyone will like it.

This year, I'm rooting for the Michigan boy, Dan. He's been America's player, so he had to vote to evict the person America wanted out, which totally turned the house upside down, and he's been the swing vote the past two weeks as well. He doesn't really have an alliance, he just has a way of knowing when to be vulnerable and when to be strong, and he isn't really seen as a huge threat. I hope he goes all the way......I really respect his game.

Ok, enough lame-O reality TV talk.....bring on the weekend!!!

0 comments: